The Bermuda Triangle of the Park Cities is in Front of Cotton Island
The triangle-ish parking space in front of Cotton Island at Hillcrest and Daniel is a mysterious and powerful force.
• Is it even a parking space? There’s solid yellow lines surrounding it and even some of those little reflective, raised bumpy things on the side but people park there and, in fact, celebrate scoring the spot.
• If it’s an actual parking space, is it designed for one car, or two?
• And if it is designed for two, is it bumper to bumper style or side by side?
• It is basically front row not only to Cotton Island but to J.D. Chippery, Mustang, Impeccable Pig and several other shops.
• You do not have to back out to the traffic on Hillcrest when leaving.
But there are some serious problems with the space- recurring issues that make this area the Bermuda Triangle of the Park Cities.
• If you aren’t careful you can easily get blocked in by the obvious illegal parkers behind you in the diagonal yellow lines and also in front by scofflaw drivers who park behind the 2 parallel spaces in front of J.D. Chippery.
• If another car pulls in, treating the area like a 2 car space, you might have trouble opening the door when returning to your vehicle.
We need rules on this. And signage.
10 thoughts on “The Bermuda Triangle of the Park Cities is in Front of Cotton Island”
I actually parked there once, maybe 15 years ago…some little waif in Cotton Island asked me to move my car. I took that to mean it was “reserved.” I said, “If I have to move it, I’m not shopping.” She responded, “Okay. Fine.” So I guess they don’t need customers.
This space bothers me, too.
It was a two lane gas station with crank pumps. But that was when cars were not as wide as they are today. B’s Chippery still has the large bay window in the alley for the service bay.
I actually had a couple who recently moved to UP tell me they thought I was pulling their leg when I told them the Wachovia was once a gas station too. Ha.
OMG, I’ve lived in UP since 1993 and I always ponder that parking space every time I drive by, lol…like, what kind of rock star do you have to be to just swing on in there, lol??? So glad to know I’m not the only one.
OMG? LOL? WTF!
This is on private property and NOT a public parking spot.
Now I must park there.
I specifically don’t shop at Cotton Island because of their parking!
They’re being very passive aggressive if it’s private parking and they won’t put up a sign. I’ve parked there many times to get donuts, but always before the store opened.
I have parked there a million times over the past 15 years. I park there to get cookies at JD’s (even if you have to wait in line I’ve never been gone more than 5 min) and to shop at Cotton Island. I’ve been asked to move before and it’s usually a prissy girl who works at Cotton Island. So what. They are just like every other person with a chip on their shoulder. My general rule of thumb is to pull forward so someone can park behind me. If there is a car already there I park behind them (granted they can get out). It’s just a matter of manners. If you get blocked in it’s probably someone getting a cookie. If you get mad it’s your fault because you parked in a “no parking” zone. Hope this helps!!
I parked here a couple months ago when trying to shop at Cotton Island…. and you are all RIGHT about the “Prissy” “Rude” girls who think they are above their own customers who just want to blow money in their store!!! Its unbelievable to me, that they would be so rude and demand i move my car or else would not be allowed to shop in their store!!! I was ready to spend a good 500-600 that day, but FORGET IT!! I left and went next door to a couple other shops on the street… hence LEAVIng my car there, but ready to spend my money elsewhere! Haha, i’m sure they enjoyed that 🙂
Anyway… It wasn’t towed or anything and I wouldn’t hesitate about parking there for nearby shops, just dont do it if you dare shop in the Cotton island itself. Rude!